Saturday, July 23, 2011

Five on Friday

Back to Blogging: Yes, it is Saturday. I’m already off to a late start! I am starting to blog again to share with those who I can’t talk to everyday and my grandparents out in California who may find some of this amusing. Also, I have a bit of a bet with a friend that is lighting a fire under my butt to write. Thanks to Bridget for letting me steal her Ten on Tuesday blog concept. I told her 10 was way too many for my lackluster life. Maybe with a few crazy dogs in our house now, I will be able to come up with more to say.



Phone diving: Speaking of the dogs, I came home from a walk with the pups on Thursday to find my new Droid Pro swimming at the bottom of the dogs’ water bowl upstairs. I am typically very conscious in the morning, and definitely do not remember tossing into the bowl myself. When it happened, and which of the two hounds did it remains a mystery. After staring at it with my jaw hanging for a few seconds, I frantically rescued it and threw it in a coffee mug with some Arborio rice…the only kind I had in the cabinet (note to self: keep instant rice on hand for this particular instance). It seemed to work, as the rice was wet and clumpy…so I tried to turn DP back on. There were bright sporadic lights coming from the flash light and the screen was blinking…I disassembled it, took out everything I could and buried it back in the mug. It then was thrown in the front seat of the car, as I had to leave for a meeting downtown, not before grabbing the trusty old Blackberry Curve and the car charger on the way out.



Separation anxiety: I really didn’t realize how much of my life is spent on that phone. Couldn’t call, couldn’t check the calendar or email, didn’t have the settling feeling of calling in the case of an emergency…I may have suffered a minor panic attack. Made it downtown, through a meeting and back, but the worst was yet to come.



Verizon Brainless: Wasted 40 minutes of my life talking to the most worthless excuse for an employee at the Verizon store, attempting to reconnect the Blackberry to the exchange server. Grant (waiting for me outside) said I “didn’t look too happy.” This is an understatement. My frustration level has not hit that high for quite some time. I told Brainless I was wasting my time after he starting writing “tech support 1-800- “ on a post-it note. I wonder how many times a day he does that. I walked out and discovered on the way home that the phone must have automatically restored the connection to the server. Makes me wonder how that man is still employed.



Ovo: I finally got the last part of my Christmas gift, when Grant and I went under the bug top in the United Center parking lot to see Cirque du Soleil’s Ovo. It was amazing, as evidence by the fact that I thought intermission was the conclusion. We both had a good laugh at my confusion as we waited for the amazing second half to commence. I would, of course, recommend this show to anyone. Cirque du Soleil has truly created shows that amaze and captivate without overcomplicating entertainment. Simply amazing.



Eat Korean: Are you counting? This is 6…I made myself come up with one more for being late. We spent last night with a good friend and his girlfriend at his parents’ house for a traditional Korean meal. It was the first time I have experienced this form of dining, in which dishes are kept in the center of the table, not passed. There must have been 20 different dishes to try…I could try to remember their Korean names, but it would be entirely inaccurate. Seaweed, raw veggies, marinated chicken, pork and beef, dumplings, sauces, noodles…so yummy! Chris and Se Young, thank you!!

No comments:


photography by Miranda Kemp